Onboard’s unique advantage is our ability to attract, retain, engage and motivate some of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged young people in Sheffield and surrounding areas. We deliver bespoke Individual Learning Programs for a wide range of young people. We support primary, secondary and post 16, from enrichment activities for full classes, individual confidence building sessions, right through to alternative provision.
We work in partnership with Sheffield Life Long skills & Communities, specialist schools (Heritage park, Bents green and Holgate Meadows), Youth Offending Service, Community Youth Teams, Primary Inclusion Centre, the Looked After Children team, Sharrow Community Forum and many more from the South Yorkshire region.
Our learning programs work towards AQA award schemes. We have a long track record of having the highest rate of attendance for alternative provision in Sheffield (80% of students last year improved their attendance rate). 79% of students were reintegrated back into employment education or training.
The courses we deliver cover:
• Joinery & – developing woodwork skills, building & repairing skate ramps
• The use of hand held tools
• Skatepark tutoring – how to ride indoor skate parks, learning tricks & how to use a variety of obstacles
• Food hygiene (AQA and City & Guilds)
• Parkour skills
• Photography skills – editing and motion pictures
• Customer services
• Independence and Employability skills
Students can expect to:
• Be welcomed into an exciting urban environment with positive and encouraging staff
• Be given learning opportunities where they can couple problem-solving with joinery and engage in extreme sports, thus increasing motivation and building self-confidence
• Work in small groups learning about ‘team building activities’
• Build objects that benefit our local community e.g. ramps we can take to use in our local parks; compost areas
• Learn how to ride an indoor skatepark with a variety of obstacles (equipment provided)
• Be assigned to a ‘key-worker’ in order to support personal development; our mentors are experienced youth workers and have great knowledge about extreme sports
• Each learner has their progress tracked and attendance monitored, with continuous observations. Lesson Plans are tailored to the needs of the individuals and termly reports are developed and forwarded to professionals involved
“You are helping more than you’ll ever know, the change is beyond belief.” Youth Justice Service
“We nearly cried when ‘x’ told me that he’d taken some of his class mates too. He was so isolated and at risk of social exclusion. We are all so impressed with what you offer.” Special School
“Onboard’s work has reduced ASB and supported us with some of the hardest to reach youngsters.” South Yorkshire Police Neighbourhood Team